I decided to re-read Is This Tomorrow last night after reading Cruel Beautiful World yesterday morning. I had read it when it came out but it was available for download from the library with no wait so I thought I might as well. I remember liking it at the time and I still enjoyed it this time but I noticed a few interesting things thanks to reading it back-to-back with Cruel Beautiful World. There were a few similarities that were odd:
- Lewis dates a woman with blond very curly hair just like Lisa’s hair in Cruel Beautiful World
- Rose, Lewis’ friend, dates a man who takes her to a store that only sells wind-up toys and buys her a robot, in Cruel Beautiful World Iris is given wind-up toys by her husband. Who gives wind-up toys to adults, much less in two different books?
- In both books a teenager (Jimmy may have been 12) goes missing causing heartbreak to the family and a sister who is confused and broken.
- In both books, the sister goes on a road trip and ultimately finds out what happens to their missing sibling.
- The Vietnam war is mentioned in both books, along with avoiding the draft.
- In both books (SPOILER!!!) the missing child turns out to be dead.
Anyway, I just thought that was interesting. Our internet service (thanks, Verizon DSL and Baltimore City being too old to have Vios) has been super slow so I’ve now read like 4 books in a 30-hour span. With that I am off to the library to turn in my adult summer reading program paper and pick up some books that are in. Fingers crossed I won’t have to pay for parking.